Friday, September 25, 2009

Leaves keep the trees warm


Allen and I were driving to Park City this morning looking at the beautiful leaves. He's a fall person just like me. He loves the leaves changing and the fact that it means it's almost his birthday. (He suddenly likes having birthdays!) He started asking me why, in the fall, do the leaves all have to fall off the trees. I told him that it gets so cold that the tree needs to save his energy. When it's cold outside the tree needs to concentrate on keeping his roots alive, he can't focus on leaves until it gets a little warmer. In the spring he can focus on making more leaves. Allen was quietly thinking for a few minutes and then just simply said " But he will be so cold without his leaves." I love kids and the simple way they look at life.

No comments: